[ILUG] ot: perl
jm at jmason.org
Wed Mar 8 13:00:10 GMT 2000
Michael Turley said:
> Whats the difference between my and local in Perl?
* my is newer than local (perl5 vs. perl4).
* my can be used halfway through a func whereas local needs to be right
at the top scope IIRC.
* local allows you to scope global variables, e.g.
will allow you to use $_ without affecting whatever value a higher-level
function may have been using in it.
* my is better for perl's garbage collection mechanism I think.
* etc.: see http://www.plover.com/~mjd/perl/local.html and
More information about the ILUG