[ILUG] dns problem
Declan.Grady at nuvotem.com
Wed Apr 6 12:59:51 IST 2005
Peter McEvoy wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:09:54AM +0100, Declan Grady wrote:
>>I currently have a load of email (well, not a load, only about 20 or so)
>>for one destination domain, and mailq tells me ' host name lookup failure'
>What MTA is this? I thought mailq only showed what mail was on the
>queue waiting to be delivered.
It is sendmail 8.2.10
It lists the queued mail, and also under the sender/receiver colum
states the problem
>>However, if I go to the firewall, and 'dig' that domain it does resolve ok.
>>I dont have dig or nslookup on the mailserver, so cannot do the same
>I would install dnsutils or whatever the equivalent redhat package is.
I did have a go at doing an 'apt-get install bind9' but it came up with
some umnet dependencies, so I got scared off !
(I seem to remember having soem problems installing the last
MailScanner, and did put in a lot of CPAN stuff for perl)
>It might also help to mention what the domain is, so people can
>ascertain whether there are existing mx/a records.
the domain is talemaindia.com
I changed the /etc/resolv.conf as per Colm's suggestion, but still no
joy, so I changed the nameserver to an external one, and all went fine.
I assume its some problem with my local caching dns server on the woody box.
p.s. Apologies if my editing above is not the preferred format .. I
started to snip away a lot, but then it looked like garabage without the
pprevious bits !
More information about the ILUG