[ILUG] Exim locking question
daledunlea at commergy.com
Tue Apr 26 19:45:32 IST 2005
Here's the scenario:
- A large email is sent and can be seen in /var/mail/username
- The user connects to download their mail (on a low quality
connection). /var/mail/username is now a zero byte file, and
/var/spool/.username.pop contains the mail
- The connection breaks, or is broken manually.
- The presence of /var/spool/.username.pop prevents reconnects
- After a while, .username.pop times out and is removed
- A short while later, the email re-appears in /var/mail/username
- Rinse and repeat
I have advised users to close their mail client, wait for the timeout
and then use a webmail interface to delete the offending mails if needs
be. Occasionally however, in urgent cases, manual intervention is
required on my part.
My question is this: If I delete /var/spool/.username.pop, where is the
mail stored between that moment and when the email re-appears in
/var/spool/username, and how can I kill it?
Thanks in advance,
More information about the ILUG