[ILUG] how not to download a DVD ISO image, a step-by-step guide
blf at utvinternet.ie
Sun Jan 27 19:00:07 GMT 2008
how not to download a DVD ISO image,
in easy steps ....
0. the Kubunto 7.10 DVD image is c.4.3GiB
1. if wget(1) reports the size of the download
to be only c.300,000,000, it ain't the full
image. ignore ....
2. if wget only takes 20 minutes at c.240K/s,
it ain't the full image ignore ....
3. inexplicitably ignore the MD5SUMS file and
its contents ....
4. if it takes a surprisingly short amount of
time to burn to a DVD-R, it ain't the full
image. wonder about this, but ignore ....
5. watch DVD boot into grub, but then repeatedly
fail. creatively curse, verify (using dd(1)
and cmp(1)) the DVD was burnt correctly, and
start another wget.
6. step 1, again.
7. wonder why, after just a few minutes, wget
reports a substantial percentage of the image
has been downloaded. THE LIGHT DAWNS ....
8. more creative cursing, stop the wget, and
use FireFox to download instead (carefully
checking that it reports the right size and
a plausible estimated time) ....
the end. (I hope.)
and I hadn't even had a drink yet!
no small cute fuzzy animals were harmed in the
making of this mess, albeit a foam rubber penguin
did bounce off a wall. now where it'd go to ....?
cheers, an embarrassed
“How many surrealists does it take to | Brian Foster
change a lightbulb? Three. One calms | somewhere in south of France
the warthog, and two fill the bathtub | Stop E$$o (ExxonMobile)!
with brightly-coloured machine tools.” | http://www.stopesso.com
More information about the ILUG