[ILUG] [JOB] Linux Support Engineer (Galway, Ireland)
smulcahy at atlanticlinux.ie
Wed Jun 18 14:14:32 IST 2008
We have an opening for a Linux Support Engineer and I figured the ILUG
list could be a good source of applicants. Apologies if some of you
regard this as spam.
Position: Experienced Linux Support Engineer
Atlantic Linux are seeking an experienced Linux support engineer to work
as part of a team supporting customer Linux environments. We are a Linux
IT Services company based in Galway, Ireland. We deliver consulting,
design and support services based on the Linux operating system and
related open source software. Our customers include businesses,
semi-state organisations and educational institutions.
You will be mainly based in our Galway offices but some travel to
customer sites will be required. Typical activities will include,
- A mix of remote support and onsite support work.
- Designing and deploying new configurations.
- Maintaining existing customer systems.
- Trouble-shooting system failures.
- 4 or more years of commercial system administration experience.
- Experience of working with sensitive customer data.
- Experience of managing high availability systems.
- Experience of managing high volume production systems.
- Linux System Administration (Installation, management and monitoring).
- Systems administration of Linux distributions including Red Hat,
Debian, Ubuntu and SuSE/Novell .
- Configuration and management of LDAP.
- Configuring and management of DNS (using Bind, Maradns, Djbdns or
- Mail administration (SMTP, POP, IMAP, postfix, exim, qmail and spam
- Security (Firewalls, SSL, Intrustion detection, hardening systems).
- Backup and restore systems.
- Firewalls (hardware and software).
- Networking (TCP/IP, SSH, DNS, DHCP, routing, VPNs, Apache webserver).
- Virtualisation (VMware, Xen, VirtualBox and others).
- Shell scripting experience.
- Diagnosis and and repair of faulty hardware.
- Installation, management and fault-finding with databases such as
MySQL and Postgres.
Personal attributes required:
- Attention to detail.
- Pragmatic approach to resolving system problems.
- Good verbal communication skills and the ability to work with
- technical and non-technical customers.
- Excellent written communications skills.
- An interest in Linux and new technologies.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure.
Desirable skills and experience:
- Windows admin experience.
- Deployment of fail-over clustering solutions.
- Setup and maintenance of HPC clusters.
- Development with Perl or Python.
- Use of CVS or Subversion and management of repositories.
- Use and administration of Apache Tomcat.
- Systems administration of other Unix operating systems.
- Performance tuning the Linux OS and open source applications.
- Delivery of training courses.
- Use and administration of wiki and blogging software.
- Project planning or team leadership.
Benefits of working at Atlantic Linux:
Atlantic Linux is the Linux support business of Applepie Solutions.
We're a young company but growing rapidly. Most of our customers are
currently in or near Galway but we are actively expanding into other
areas. This is an excellent time to come on board and help shape the
future of the company. Benefits of the position include,
+ Competitive salary.
+ Good working environment.
+ Lots of opportunities to learn and progress your career.
+ Opportunity to work with a variety of customers and a wide range of
+ 4 weeks holidays.
+ Flexible work hours.
+ Health insurance and paid sick leave.
Informal enquiries about the position can be sent to Stephen Mulcahy,
smulcahy at atlanticlinux.ie . If you are interested, please send your CV
and a short cover letter explaining why you are suited for the position
via post to Human Resources Dept., Atlantic Linux, Innovation in
Business Center, GMIT, Dublin Rd., Galway or via email to
careers at atlanticlinux.ie. Please indicate where you saw this position
advertised. Samples of previous Linux related documentation or
information about your participation in open source projects are
welcomed. Further information about Atlantic Linux is available from our
website at http://www.atlanticlinux.ie/.
Closing date for applications is 23rd July, 2008.
Recruitment agencies: Atlantic Linux does not accept unsolicited CV’s or
applications from recruitment agencies and/or search firms and we will
not pay fees to any such organisations unless we have a prior agreement.
Please do not contact Atlantic Linux by phone or email with regard to
Stephen Mulcahy, Atlantic Linux, Innovation in Business Center, GMIT,
Dublin Rd, Galway, Ireland. +353.91.751262 http://www.atlanticlinux.ie
Registered in Ireland, no. 335292 (5 Woodlands Avenue, Renmore, Galway)
More information about the ILUG